Thursday, June 9, 2011

Willaim Lyoyd Garrison

William Lloyd Garrison was a member of the abolition movement. He believed in equal rights for all, black and white. Garrison started an anti-slavery newspaper, called the Liberator. In his first, Garrison stated,  "I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. . . . I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD." And Garrison was heard. From the first issue of his weekly paper until when the last issue was published in 1865, Garrison spoke out passionately against slavery and for the rights of African Americans.

Poem....
Oppression! I have seen thee, face to face,
And met thy cruel eye and cloudy brow;
But thy soul-withering glance I fear not now --
For dread to prouder feelings doth give place
Of deep abhorrence! Scorning the disgrace
Of slavish knees that at thy footstool bow,
I also kneel -- but with far other vow
Do hail thee and thy hord of hirelings base: --
I swear, while life-blood warms my throbbing veins,
Still to oppose and thwart, with heart and hand,
Thy brutalising sway -- till Afric's chains
Are burst, and Freedom rules the rescued land, --
Trampling Oppression and his iron rod:
Such is the vow I take -- SO HELP ME GOD!


-William Lloyd Garrison

No comments:

Post a Comment