Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Lanette Burkett Coleman"

Interview #1….

1. What is your name? Maiden and Marriage (if applicable)
            Lanette Burkett(Maiden) Coleman(Married)

2. Where were you born?
            Laurel, Mississippi…Born July 12, 1980

3. Where did you grow up?
            Collins, Mississippi

4. What were your parents’ names and occupations?
            Betty Burkett(Mother-Domestic Worker) Father(Unknown)

5. Do you have any siblings? Yes or No, names?
            Yes, (1)Sister-Lynn (4)Brothers- Joe, Kenny, Chris, Daniel(deceased)

6. What was your life like growing up as a black girl in Collins, MS?
            Lanette states, “Things were pretty leveled out. Racism was still around but not as much as when my parents were children.”

7. Did you ever encounter racism? Explain?
            “No, not really. Not explicitly but implicitly. Our school was balanced evenly.”

8. What privileges or setbacks do you feel that you experienced growing up a black female in the North/South?
            No privileges or setbacks.

9. What, if anything, do you remember your parents telling you about race?
            “My parents told me about their childhood during school. They were ridiculed and taunted by white people because whites did nit like going to school with the blacks.

10. What did your parents tell you or instill in you regarding being a woman, specifically a black woman?
            “Don’t let people try to down rate you or take advantage of your feelings…and don’t let ANYONE insult your intelligence because you are a Black woman.”

11. Did you attend school? Yes or No, why or why not? 
            Yes, because my parents wanted to make sure I received an education.

12. Talk a little bit about those days...
            “There were not many problems with racism when I was growing up and going through school. Because of where my parents lived, I attended a predominantly white school. Yes, people still new that racism was around but most kids stuck with people of their own race. Not much hatred shown but not fully accepted yet either”

13. What was it like in school for you as a black female? 
            “Everything was fine mostly. Everyone just stayed with their group of friends. I had to work extra hard being a Black female because I know that I received the least respect from others.”

14. Did you graduate and attend college?
            I graduated but I did not attend college. Right after high school I became pregnant and had to go straight into work.”

15. Did you get married?  To who?  When?
            “I married Eddie Coleman when I was 18.

16. Did you have any children? Yes or No? How many?  Why?  Was this a choice or just happend?  If no children, you could ask them why they chose not to or was it medical reasons.
            Yes, we have two children together. The circumstances surrounding my marriage were mostly choice but also partly because I was pregnant also.”

17. Where did they work as an adult?
            I own a business, a clothing boutique.”

18. Ask them about their adult life and what it was like living as a black woman? 
            “I had to work extra hard because I did not go to college and I also had a family to take care of and be there for.”

19.  Ask them if there are any specific stories that they would like to share regarding their adulthood life and being a black woman.
            No specific stories

20.  What were their relationships like with other women?  Specifically ask about white and black women.
            “I have a great relationship with other women. My best friend is Black but I do have friends of other races, mostly white.”

21.  Would they consider themselves friends with white women?  Or do they have friends that are of another race?
            “Yes, I am friends with white women but I do not have too many friends of other races.”

22.  What type of relationship do you have with black men?
            “Great relationship. I think Black are beautiful and handsome human beings, whom in which I love very much.”

23.  What do you think is the role of both black men and women in relationships and inside of the home should be?
            “I believe that the woman should be equally capable of maintaining the household, so that she can take care of her family if something happens to the husband. However, it should be the man’s responsibility to maintain the home and responsibilities with the woman by his side.”

24.  What do you think about people dating outside of their race?  Black men marrying white women and black women marrying white men?
            “My view on this is, ‘Wherever you find happiness is where you find it, no matter with whom it may be’.”

25.  What issues do you think most affect black Americans today?
            “The conceptual ideas surrounding race is a major issue even today that affect Black Americans. The reason for this is because many times the black race as well as other races conjure up ideas from the past and apply them to today’s society; therefore stunting their own growth and others by thinking that today is the same as it was 100 years ago.”

No comments:

Post a Comment